Here is the 4/8/13 version of the Proposed Ordinance.
To help answer questions about, and to get input from county residents about the proposed Animal Population Control Ordinance, Darlington County Humane Society (DCHS) will hold 2 public meetings.
- One will be in Hartsville on Sunday, February 24, 2013 from 2:00-3:00PM at the Hartsville Memorial Library.
- A second will be held in Darlington on Sunday, March 3, 2013 from 2:00-3:00PM at the Darlington County Library.
Here are key components to the ordinance in its present form:
- Owners of all dogs and cats would register their animals with the county.
- Altered (spayed/neutered) animals will have a lower registration fee ($5.00) than nonaltered ($50.00).
- Provisions in registration fees are being worked on for sporting, conformation and puppy kennels.
- Money from registration fees/fines will go to 1) enforcement of the ordinance, and then 2) to the operation of the county animal shelter.
- This ordinance would be enforced along with the SC Containment and Rabies Vaccinations Ordinances.
- DCHS volunteers are applying for grants to help county residents who need financial help to get their animals spayed/neutered.
- A suggestion has been made to have a reminder placed on tax notices.